During adolescence, the body shapes of boys and girls also change an increase in their heights. During puberty, the sex organs grow and become functionally active. The testes start producing male gametes, called sperms. During puberty, the ovaries grow and result in the maturation of the ovum. There is an increase in size of the penis with respect to different ages in males. Adolescents may experience mood swings during puberty.
During puberty, the brain is very active and so will have a greater capacity to learn. Adolescence is the period of life that leads to reproductive maturity, making a person capable of reproduction.
Hormones are chemical messengers that regulate most functions in the human body. Endocrine glands or ductless glands secrete hormones directly into the bloodstream. Sex hormones control the onset of puberty and initiate the reproduction function. Body changes such as the growth of facial hair and cracking of voice, are initiated due to the secretion of testosterone. At puberty, the level of sex hormones is sufficient to bring about the maturation of gametes, sperm and ovum. The reproductive phase of life lasts longer in males than in females. Menarche is the first occurrence of menstruation.
The shedding of the uterine thickening along with its blood vessels is menstruation. Menopause is the stoppage of menstruation. Fertilisation is the fusion of a sperm and an ovum. The menstrual cycle takes place every 28-30 days.
A balanced diet contains nutrients like carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals and water in the right proportions. Healthy foods have more nutritional value, whereas junk foods have no or little nutritional value. A person with complete physical and mental health is termed a healthy individual. Personal hygiene is the first step in maintaining health.
Body parts such as hair, skin, nails and feet are vulnerable to bacterial and fungal infections, if we don’t keep them clean. Physical exercise keeps your body fit and healthy. Sweating helps you to release toxins and wastes from your body.
Outdoor games and exercise in addition to indoor games will help you build a healthy, muscular body. A lot of people take anabolic steroids to increase body mass, but it has dangerous side effects. Peer pressure is best addressed by self confidence and a healthy lifestyle. During adolescence, with drastic changes taking place in the body and mind, you might feel insecure and confused.
View NCERT Solution
- Chapter-wise tests to help you assess your preparation status after studying a chapter.
- Detailed solutions for all the tests help students compare their solutions with model answers provided.
- Unlimited tests for extensive practice.
- Notes are organized chapter-wise for quick and easy reference.
- Available in easily downloadable PDF format for easy downloading and printing.
- High-quality illustrations and supporting diagrams aid in quick understanding.
- Point-wise summary of key concepts in a chapter to ensure that you cover all topics.
- Textbook revise are available in PDF format for easy download and printing.
- Concepts are explained in easy language accompanied with high-quality graphics.