Organisms that are made up of a single cell and perform all their vital activities, like reproduction, locomotion and digestion, are called unicellular organisms. Organisms that are made up of more than one cell are called multicellular organisms.
Amoeba uses small finger-like projections called pseudopodia for locomotion and to capture prey.Paramecium is a single cell and is built in such a way that it performs all its vital activities, like reproduction, locomotion, digestion, and so on.
The White Blood Corpuscle (WBC) is the only animal cell that changes its shape.
The black layer or the scab that you see on the wound is a result of the aggregation of dead Red Blood Cells (RBCs).
The nose and the lungs form part of an organ system, the respiratory system.All organ systems work together to form a complex organism. The cytoplasm is a jelly-like fluid present between the nucleus and the cell membrane. The cell membrane allows the movement of minerals and other substances in and out of the cell. The nucleus controls the activities of a cell. Methylene blue is the stain placed on plant and animal cells to differentiate the nucleus under a microscope. Chromosomes are called vehicles of heredity because they carry genes and help in the inheritance or transfer of characteristics from the parents to the offspring.
Bacteria and blue-green algae that contain nucleoids are called prokaryotes. Organisms that have a well-organised nucleus are called eukaryotes.
The nuclear material in unicellular organisms does not contain a nuclear membrane, and hence is called a nucleoid.
The nucleolus is a small, spherical body in the nucleus. Chloroplast is a type of plastid involved in photosynthesis in plants.
View NCERT Solution
- Chapter-wise tests to help you assess your preparation status after studying a chapter.
- Detailed solutions for all the tests help students compare their solutions with model answers provided.
- Unlimited tests for extensive practice.
- Notes are organized chapter-wise for quick and easy reference.
- Available in easily downloadable PDF format for easy downloading and printing.
- High-quality illustrations and supporting diagrams aid in quick understanding.
- Point-wise summary of key concepts in a chapter to ensure that you cover all topics.
- Textbook revise are available in PDF format for easy download and printing.
- Concepts are explained in easy language accompanied with high-quality graphics.